So, if you have never been to a horse race, erase every idea of what you were thinking it would be like. Because you are wrong. (It’s okay though because so was I)
In my head, I was expecting a classy event with big hats and long dresses. Even though some people had big hats & long dresses on, the event was more like a giant frat party. It was literally an all-day drinking event that ended with a horse race (keep in mind the actual race is less than 60 seconds).
My friends & I did end up on the enclosed section near the track though – that was pretty classy. Who knows how we ended up there, but, after free drinks & food, we figured we would search for people we actually know.
Necessities & Advice if you plan on going to Belmont Stakes as General Admission
- Bring alcohol for the ride there – lots of it
- DON’T bring an umbrella because they will throw it away (even if it happens to downpour)
- Wear comfortable shoes – you are standing literally all day
- Bring sunglasses – to hide the sun / your sweaty face
- SNACKS – you really can’t have enough
- Cash – everything is cash only so avoid standing in an hour-long ATM line like I did
Honestly, the most important thing to do…mentally prepare yourself. There will be a couple bumps in the road…so don’t be an ass & just laugh about it.
Examples – Cute dog tried to eat my bagel, one friend’s shoes broke, one friend got lost & almost missed the bus, the hot dogs had excessively long wieners, & way there were too many creepy guys.
Point is: Belmont Stakes is one of those things that is so much fun & also hilarious but, at the same time, it is an experience and a half (Interns gone wild). So, go with your friends & have a freaking blast!