Designing a wardrobe that is fabulous, affordable and fits in our tiny apartment closets was an art that took several seasons of trial and error. We finally mastered the craft and one big key to our success is consignment. Our closets are now filled with amazing designer styles that we found for just a fraction of the cost. Plus, the whole process is like going on a treasure hunt and when we score a “fab find” it is absolutely thrilling!
Each season when it’s time to swap out the current season’s attire for next season’s – we fill a big bag full of anything that looks a little worn, is no longer in style or we just don’t think we will wear again and the adventure begins…
After some time we determined the trifecta of consignment shops for selling. First stop is Crossroads Trading Co for a preliminary round of selling. Next up is Buffalo Exchange just a block over – sometimes they buy looks that crossroads passed on since they appeal to quirkier styln’ crowd, and the leftovers go to Goodwilll around the corner.
A few tips for selling we have learned along the way:
- Put the things you want to consign in a suitcase rather than a bag – so much easier to get around!
- Selling vs consigning – selling means you get cash right on the spot (or credit in the store), consigning means you get paid once the item is sold which is good for mint condition designer items (you make more that way).
So, at this point in the process we are feeling pretty good – we are cleansed of last season’s trends and we have some extra cash to start shopping!
Our favorite consignment shops for shopping and why:
- Crossroads, Flatiron – Great looks and it’s convenient to get to
- Crossroads, Brooklyn – This location is huge! we could spend hours
- Second Time Around, Soho – All the STA shops are on the more expensive side, but they are great for specialty items like a designer bag or a cocktail dress for that wedding coming up!
- Goodwill, Flatiron – it’s set up like a department store!
- Housing Works Thrift Shop – from costume jewelry to fur coats they have it all! we particularly like the shoes
This is an all day affair – so we suggest setting aside a whole day for this fun and productive event!
Thank you to our lifesize model and barbie – Steph’s sister – who is all to happy to less us do her shopping!