Can’t make it over to Dimes every morning, so sometimes you just gotta make your own colorful breakfast bowl… kinda want it for dinner too…
1 – 2 sweet potatoes
Purple cauliflower (or whatever color you find!)
Lemon (meyer lemons are sweeter and preferred if they are in season)
1 – 2 eggs
Olive oil/coconut oil
Salt, pepper, whatever seasonings you have!
How to make:
- Boil water and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse and chop cauliflower and kale and place on two separate roasting trays. Don’t throw out the cauliflower stalks!! You can roast those too and they are delicious!
- Cover the veggies generously with oil (seriously, don’t skimp!), salt, pepper, lemon, and any other seasonings you might like. I love adding cayenne pepper for a little kick too. Toss with your hands and make sure not to overcrowd the roasting trays or the veggies will steam instead—give the veggies ample space to roast and caramelize.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10-15 minutes, or until thoroughly soft (poke with a fork to test. The fork should easily spear all the way through). While that is happening, place the kale and cauliflower in the oven and roast for 15-30 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your vegetables.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, let them cool on the side while you fry up your eggs. Drizzle the fried egg with olive oil to finish 🙂
- Pinch the ends of the sweet potatoes and the skin should come right off! Be careful as it will probably still be hot and steamy. Mash the sweet potatoes and now you have the base for your bowl!
- Add in the roasted vegetables and fried eggs. Add any other condiments you might like—sriracha, spicy mustard, Mike’s hot honey, etc.– and season to taste. TA DA!
This was just one breakfast bowl I made but you could really do it with any kind of vegetable… I switch it up all the time. I also switch up how I cook a lot of the different ingredients. I’ll roast the potato instead of steaming it, poach the egg instead of frying it, etc. So reaallyyy, I could break it down to the following instructions:
- Cook some kind of potato
- Roast some veggies
- Make an egg or two
- Remember to season generously and assemble
All of the ingredients also keep really well so you can make it the night before and just spoon it out in the morning 🙂