As soon as we returned from camp 5 hours away in upstate New York, and the bus re-entered the world of cell service, texting, Instagram and Snapchat, our friends across every platform wanted to know “how was camp!?” We were the pioneers of adult summer camp – we took on nature, bunk beds and plenty of booze to report back on what camp life is like when you’re in your twenties as opposed to your tweens. And let’s just say, there’s a huge difference. Well, kind of.
As the frontier-women of Camp No Counselors, here are some things we learned:
- Our new favorite beer is Shock Top Lemon Shandy – it’s basically grown-up lemonade – perfect for summertime!
- Camp food is delicious! Like, DE-licious. We are talking fried chicken, ribs, homemade pasta salad, fresh watermelon, and cream cheese frosting atop each piece of cake we devoured
- You are allowed to ride in the speed boat, choose the radio station and take pictures while people tube, ski and wakeboard
- The slip n’ slide is actually just as fun as you remember from childhood – and even better when you slide into a game of flip cup!
- People are hilarious! On top of all the relay games and water sports, we got a total ab workout laughing our way through camp. Just wait for the talent show and lip sync battle 😉
A few tips for a successful weekend at adult summer camp:
- Bring a few guys and gals! This is a great alternative weekend to hanging with your gang in the Hamptons or Shore
- BYOB (bring your own bedding). While the activities, food and booze at camp receive 5 stars from us – let’s just say the term “glamping” doesn’t describe the evening accommodations
- Be prepared to unplug – there is really no cell phone service or internet – but who cares when you have your #squad around?
FUN FACT: We tied TEN times in a row at Rock, Paper, Scissors – best friend probs? Or just plain creepy.
OUR CAMP NECESSITIES: Before going to camp, we made an “Adult Summer Camp Essesntials” wish list on our new fave site, Desirelist. On Desirelist, you can create lists for any occasion, and the best part is, the lists are shoppable, so people know what to get you AND can they buy the gifts instantly! It takes the guessing out of gifting, and let’s be honest, who wouldn’t be on board for that?!