St. Patrick’s Day,
A religious holiday celebrating the Patron Saint of Ireland turned American holiday glorifying ridiculous green outfits, green glitter and the consumption of unearthly amounts of beer. Honestly, it’s a blast!
But, if you’re feeling like the age old tradition of throwing on that itchy polyester shamrock costume and posting up in a “pub” from 10am until 10pm is getting a little stale, try one of these “non-basic” St. Paddy’s day celebrations!
1. Grab a Flight….of Irish Whiskey Ice Cream: Our friends over at Odd Fellows Brooklyn (where else?!) are offering up a flight (how creative!) of ice cream flavors topped with Irish whiskey just in time for the holiday
2. Watch Leap Year: Laugh, cry and rejoice in this adorable romantic comedy rooted in a supposed Irish tradition. Plus the movie was filmed in Dublin! #authentic
3. Make a Traditional Irish Dinner: Did we hear potatoes?
4. Whiskey vs. Beer Cheese pairing: Whiskey or beer? We say both! For (only) 90 bucks, you can join the St. Patrick’s Day Whiskey vs. Beer cheese pairing class at Murray’s Cheese or shop their Luck o’ the Cheese Lover collection – perfect for avoiding crowds and celebrating St. Patrick’s Day at home. Might we suggest pairing with a drinking game?
5. See a Traditional Irish Music Session: Okay, so it’s actually on Saturday, but if you are not too hungover (or are still going from Friday night?) swing by Lillie’s in Union Square where you can find traditional Irish Music Sessions EVERY Saturday from 3-6pm! Irish music at a quaint Union Square pub decorated with antiques sourced from an 1800 ballroom in Northern Ireland – check!